Skip to: Site menu | Main content

Email LinkedIn


Qualify your table name.

Thanks to Tim for reminding me what a headache this can be!

I'm guilty of creating SQL statements like so:

SELECT testfield FROM sometable

Today that caused a real problem. An error that was incredibly difficult to find.

The error message was:

11 >
= 11 null

Seriously, that was the error message displayed by Coldfusion.

The answer was that we should've qualified the table name like so:

SELECT testfield FROM [sometable]

You can take it a step further and do this for your columns as well. I usually do not qualify my column names unless it's necessary, but qualifying your table name is easy and may save your hair.

Returning a uniqueidentifier from MS SQL Server in Coldfusion.

I ran into a problem trying to return the newly created identity from a table. The identity column was a uniqueidentifier type.

Table structure:


I needed to retrieve the new UniqueID value after an INSERT statement.

The default value for UniqueID is set to newid().


Scarce Flex Information.

I'm really surprised at the lack of information for good data access strategies in Flex.

I have a Flex application that will use Coldfusion as the back end, but I'd like it to easily adapt to a web service that could be written in PHP, Java, ASP, etc. I can't find any good resources that demonstrate a best practices for this kind of flexibility. There's a lot of talent out there so I know someone has already tackled this problem.

One field, One piece of data.

Today I ran across some old code that reminded me why being "clever" can get you into trouble. The code basically collects a bunch (over 30) data fields that are submitted via a web form. At the time the client was continually adding new data points. In an effort to make adding new data points easier we began to place a delimited list of key/value pairs into a single text field in the database. What a great idea! Now we don't have to add a new field to the table every time we add one to the form......Wrong! Today the client asked for the ability to sort/search on one of those data points. Something that should have been as easy as adding an ORDER BY clause to my query has turned into a refactoring job.